Brian Hudspeth MA, LPC, LCDC, SAP (Substance Abuse Professional) provides Department of Transportation (DOT) Substance Abuse Professional Services for individuals or organizations involved with the following industries.
- FAA - Federal Aviation Administration
- FRA - Federal Railroad Administration
- FTA - Federal Transit Administration
- PHMSA - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
- USCG - United States Coast Guard
- FMCSA - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
If you have had a violation that resulted in your removal from duty you must undergo a face to face evaluation from a DOT qualified Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) unless you opt to find employment outside the transportation industry. A positive drug test or a refusal to test is just two things that can result in a DOT violation. Once a violation is established you have the opportunity to see an SAP. The SAP's responsibility is to protect the public. At the point you opt to see the SAP a violation has already been established. The SAP is required to refer you to treatment, education or a combination of both as well as a follow-up plan for testing. The following is a brief summary of the steps involved when seeing an SAP.
- The SAP must conduct a face to face evaluation of the employee and will recommend treatment, education or some combination of both.
- The SAP will send a copy of the report and recommendation to your employer.
- The SAP is required to monitor your progress in the recommended treatment or education program.
- If the employee is compliant with the treatment or education program he will then schedule a follow-up evaluation.
- As a result of the follow-up evaluation the SAP will report to the employer that the employee has been compliant or non-compliant with recommendations.
- If the SAP reports that the employee has been compliant then the employer can determine whether to allow a return to duty test for the employee. It is the employer's prerogative whether to take the employee back. If the employee has not been compliant they can't return to safety sensitive work.
- If accepted back, or if hired by a new DOT regulated employer, the employee must complete a drug testing per SAP recommendations and implemented by the employer.
Please contact me if you have questions or to schedule an SAP evaluation. In most cases an appointment can be scheduled within 48 hours.